Guest posting is a great way to get your writing in front of a new audience and build your online presence. However, getting your guest posts accepted can be challenging, especially if you are just starting out or if you are submitting to high-quality blogs.
The importance of guest posting can be understood by this study by Moz, guest posting is the second most effective tactic for increasing organic traffic to a website, after creating high-quality content.
In this article, we will discuss some tips and strategies for making sure your guest posts are accepted every time.
1. Research the Blog
Before you start writing your guest post, it is important to research the blog you are planning to submit to. Look for their guidelines for guest posts, and make sure you follow them closely. This will show the editor that you are serious about writing for their blog and that you are willing to put in the effort to meet their standards.
Some things you should look for in the guidelines include:
- The type of content they are looking for
- The length of the article
- Any formatting or style guidelines
- Whether they accept pitches or require a complete draft
When you are researching a blog or website to guest post on, you should take the time to familiarize yourself with the content that they publish. This will help you to understand what kind of topics and writing styles they prefer, and ensure that your post will be a good fit for their audience.
You can do this by reading a few of the blog’s most recent posts, as well as looking at their about page to learn more about the blog’s mission and target audience. This will give you a good idea of what kind of content is likely to be accepted, and help you tailor your post accordingly.
Additionally, you should look for any submission guidelines that the blog may have posted. These guidelines may include information on the preferred length and format of guest posts, as well as any specific topics or themes that the blog is interested in. By following these guidelines, you can increase your chances of having your post accepted.
By following the guidelines, you increase your chances of getting your guest post accepted because you are meeting the expectations of the editor.
2. Follow Submission Guidelines
It’s important to follow the submission guidelines when submitting a guest post because it shows that you are professional and respectful of the blog or website’s rules and preferences.
Submission guidelines are often put in place to help blog owners and editors streamline the submission process and ensure that they receive high-quality content that is a good fit for their audience. By following these guidelines, you can help to make it easier for the blog owner or editor to review your post and decide whether or not to accept it.
Some common submission guidelines include requirements for the length and format of the post, as well as any specific topics or themes that the blog is interested in. Other guidelines may include instructions on how to submit your post, such as what information to include in your email or how to format your bio.
By following the submission guidelines carefully, you can increase your chances of having your guest post accepted and make a good impression on the blog owner or editor.
3. Choose a Unique Topic
When choosing a topic for your guest post, it is important to choose something that is relevant to the blog’s audience and unique. This will make your article stand out and increase the chances of it being accepted.
Here are some tips for choosing a relevant and unique topic:
- Look for gaps in the blog’s content and write about a topic that has not been covered before
- Offer a fresh perspective on a popular topic
- Write about a timely issue or trend
- Use data or research to back up your argument
Choosing a unique topic for your guest post is important because it helps to make your post stand out from the others that the blog or website may receive. Unique topics are often more interesting and engaging for readers, and can help your post to get more attention.
When choosing a topic, try to think about what sets your post apart from others on the same subject. Can you offer a unique perspective or approach? Can you share new or interesting information that has not been covered elsewhere?
It’s also a good idea to do some research to see what topics have already been covered on the blog or website you are writing for, and avoid choosing a topic that has already been covered in depth. This will help to ensure that your post adds value to the blog’s content and is not redundant.
By choosing a unique and interesting topic, you can increase the chances of your guest post being accepted and getting a lot of engagement from readers.
4. Create a Compelling Pitch
A compelling pitch is a short summary of your guest post idea that you send to a blog owner or editor when you are trying to get your post accepted. The pitch should clearly explain the topic of your post and why it would be a good fit for the blog.
Here are a few tips for writing a compelling pitch:
- Keep it short and to the point. A good pitch should be no more than a few paragraphs long.
- Clearly explain the topic of your post and how it will benefit the blog’s readers.
- Offer a unique perspective or approach to the topic.
- Include any relevant writing samples or links to your previous work, if applicable.
- Be professional and respectful in your communication.
By writing a compelling pitch, you can increase the chances of your guest post being accepted and make a good impression on the blog owner or editor.
5. Write High-Quality Content
Once you have a topic and a pitch or outline that has been accepted, it is time to start writing your guest post. To increase your chances of it being accepted, it is important to write a high-quality article that is well-researched, well-written, and easy to read.
Writing high-quality content is important for a few reasons:
- It helps to establish your credibility as a writer and subject matter expert.
- It makes your post more engaging and informative for readers.
- It increases the chances of your post being shared and linked to, which can help to drive traffic to your own website or blog.
To write high-quality content, here are a few tips:
- Choose a topic that you are knowledgeable and passionate about.
- Research your topic thoroughly and include accurate and up-to-date information.
- Use clear, concise language and avoid using unnecessary jargon.
- Use subheadings and bullet points to break up the content and make it easier to read.
- Edit and proofread your post carefully to ensure that it is free of spelling and grammar errors.
By following these tips, you can write high-quality content that will be more likely to be accepted and well-received by readers.
6. Use Images and Media
Using images and other media in your guest post can help to make it more visually appealing and engaging for readers. This can include things like photographs, videos, infographics, and other types of media.
There are a few benefits to using media in your guest post:
- It can help to break up long blocks of text and make the post more visually appealing.
- It can help to illustrate your points and make the content more memorable for readers.
- It can add value to the post and provide additional information for readers.
When using media in your guest post, it’s important to follow any guidelines that the blog owner or editor may have provided, and to make sure that you have the necessary permissions to use the media.
By using images and other media in your guest post, you can make it more visually appealing and engaging for readers.
7. Proofread Your Post
Proofreading your post is important because it helps to ensure that your writing is clear, concise, and error-free. This is especially important when you are submitting a guest post, as you want to make a good impression on the blog owner or editor and show that you take your writing seriously.
To proofread your post effectively, here are a few tips:
- Read through your post carefully and look for any spelling or grammar errors.
- Use a spelling and grammar checker to help identify any mistakes.
- Read your post aloud to help you catch any awkward phrasing or sentence structure issues.
- Have someone else read through your post and provide feedback.
By proofreading your post carefully, you can ensure that it is of the highest quality and more likely to be accepted by the blog owner or editor.
8. Follow Up With the Editor
Following up with the editor after submitting your guest post is a good idea because it helps to ensure that your post has been received and is being considered for publication. It also shows that you are interested in the status of your submission and are professional and respectful of the editor’s time.
Here are a few tips for following up with the editor:
- Wait a reasonable amount of time before following up. Most editors are busy and may not have had a chance to review your submission right away.
- Keep your follow-up email brief and to the point. Simply ask if they have had a chance to review your submission and if they have any feedback.
- Be polite and professional in your communication.
- If you don’t hear back after a few follow-up emails, it’s okay to assume that your post has not been accepted and to move on to other opportunities.
By following up with the editor in a respectful and professional manner, you can show your interest in having your guest post accepted and may be able to get feedback that can help you improve your chances of success in the future.
9. Be Responsive and Professional
Being responsive and professional when communicating with the blog owner or editor is important because it helps to establish a good working relationship and increase your chances of having your guest post accepted.
Here are a few tips for being responsive and professional when communicating with the blog owner or editor:
- Respond to emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Follow any instructions or guidelines provided by the blog owner or editor.
- Be respectful and polite in your communication, even if you disagree with any feedback or suggestions.
- Be open to feedback and willing to make changes to your post if requested.
By being responsive and professional in your communication with the blog owner or editor, you can establish a good working relationship and increase your chances of having your guest post accepted.
10. Offer to Write a Series of Posts
Offering to write a series of posts for a blog or website, rather than just one, can be more attractive to blog owners because it provides them with a larger volume of content and can help to establish a long-term relationship with a writer.
Here are a few tips for offering to write a series of posts:
- Research the blog or website to get a sense of the topics and writing styles that they prefer.
- Come up with a series of post ideas that are related to each other and would be of interest to the blog’s audience.
- Pitch the idea to the blog owner or editor, explaining how the series would benefit their blog and their readers.
- Be open to feedback and willing to make any necessary changes to the series outline.
By offering to write a series of posts, you can increase your chances of having your guest posts accepted and establish a long-term relationship with the blog or website.
Writing guest posts can be a great way to get your work published on other blogs and websites and increase your visibility as a writer. However, it’s important to make sure that your guest posts are accepted by following best practices and being professional and respectful.
Some key steps to take to increase your chances of having your guest posts accepted include: researching the blog or website you want to guest post on, following the submission guidelines, choosing a unique and interesting topic, writing a compelling pitch, creating high-quality content, using images and other media, proofreading your post, following up with the editor, being responsive and professional when communicating with the blog owner or editor, and considering offering to write a series of posts.
By following these steps, you can increase your chances of having your guest posts accepted and establish yourself as a valuable contributor to other blogs and websites.
Comments are closed.